Sharing Worlds, Changing Lives

The Samoan Youth Empowerment Initiative was founded in June of 2012 as a way to allow Samoan students a chance to develop cross-cultural awareness by traveling to the United States. The program seeks to engage the Samoan students in hands on activities and interaction with Americans with the understanding that Americans will gain just as much in terms of the sharing of cultures.

Our mission is to inspire the youth of Samoa to dream, but more importantly, to act. With a focus on sustainability, we are challenging the students to return to Samoa as bold leaders, active individuals and inspirational partners. They will reach out to share their experiences and then move to act on important issues facing their local communities, churches and families. They are the future of Samoa and we can EMPOWER them!

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Lake Michigan

It was one of the more simple things to plan thus far for the program, but a car ride over to the shores of Lake Michigan was a huge success. I knew the sights would be familiar to the boys, considering the lake might be mistaken as an ocean at first glance to someone who was unfamiliar with U.S. geography. I had taught Saulo, Milo and Neueli about the Great Lakes over the past few years, but I knew they would only completely understand its size if they saw it first-hand.

On the drive over along U.S. 12, I realized I had never before been to Lake Michigan during the winter months, so in many ways it was a new experience for me as well. I pulled out a state map of Michigan to help them get a sense of how far we were traveling. We arrived around 3p.m. to Warren Dunes Sate Park and spent the afternoon there until the sunset. Although it was a frigid day, it was mostly clear with abundant sunshine!

As we drove up the entrance to the park, the boys got more excited. When we rounded the final corner and they caught sight of the waters, the first word I heard came from Neueli who said, “sami,” which means ocean. I reminded him that in fact, it was a lake we were visiting, referencing the state map once again.

We practically had the place to ourselves, other than one or two other families there who were there. We headed straight for the beach with the football. Arriving at the water I had them go over and put their hands in to feel how cold it was and to taste that there really wasn’t any salt in that huge body of water! I think I impressed them when I explained that the lake has a low and high tide like the oceans do.

Our impromptu game of football was fun, as well as our trek to the top of Tower Hill, the big sand dunes along the beach. From the bottom, the dunes don’t look to intimidating, but I told them they would get winded about half way up. They laughed at me and said I was wrong, only to be found sitting on a dead tree stump shortly after in an attempt to catch their breath!

At the top we took pictures and watched the sun as it neared the horizon at sunset. I took the football and threw it down the hill and had them race down to get it. I was surprised that all of them made it to the bottom of the dunes without wiping out!

I was nearly ready to have them head for the car when I decided to head back over to the beach one more time to take in the sunset. After another 20 minutes we finally headed out and made one last stop at the front gate to grab a picture next to the entrance sign.

Growing up in Michigan, it was a family tradition to head over to Lake Michigan for a day during the summer months. Although the boys weren’t able to get a swim out of the day, it was still a huge success and one I’m sure they will remember from their trip here to the Great Lakes State.


We were a little bewildered when the first thing we saw on our walk to the beach was a coconut shell! It made the boys feel right at home!


The coconut shell made them feel like they had been given a piece of Samoa!


Saulo writing his name in the sand.


Samoa!


Neueli on Tower Hill


After the climb to the top of Tower Hill.


Together on the beach.


The guys wrote out Samoan Youth Empowerment Initiative in the sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment